Monday, February 23, 2009

meet me where your mind won't kiss me.

Today I did something that I'm pretty proud of.

I defied my T.A.

Now, my mother has a phrase for the people in class who sit in the back of the room and point out inconsistencies with the same joy and self-pleasure as a pirate who found buried treasure on his own. She calls them "bright boys" and I never want to embody the stereotype because it sounds awful, self-congratulatory and the opposite of true intelligence.

But I was disgusted by the guest lecturer today, who dressed up her lecture on Susan Sontag in hyper-feminist leanings and tried to push it as fact rather than opinion. I didn't mind the agenda, or the opinion, but I do mind being told something that is 100 percent opinion and be expected to write it down in my notebook, to be regurgitated later.

So in class today, I commented. My T.A. defended the guest lecturer and the entire section turned, pointing out the inconsistencies between the reading and the guest lecturer's opinion-dominated message. Susan Sontag is a lot of posturing, and it's easy to posture upon posturing, and eventually, my TA agreed, and started talking down the guest lecturer as well.

It was interesting. I felt like my ire was bright boy misplaced enthusiasm, but I'm glad it wasn't.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment